Monday, July 30, 2012

Photographer/ Therapist...

The other day I had a photo session with a lovely lady who was doing new photos for her dating profile. Through out the session I realized that as a photographer we often end up being like a therapist for the clients as well. Much like a bartender who listens to someone at the bar, telling their story. Through out the session she told me about her life and the troubles she was having trying to get by in the dating world. As I listened I also found myself thinking about how often this type of thing occurs. The Bride who is looking for the assurance that she looks beautiful on her wedding day. That she is indeed making the right decision to marry her guy (jitters about the day). A mother wanting to know that her child is the cutest in the world. A teen girl for her senior portraits wanting to be assured she is not fat. As a photographer it is my job to make sure that the insecurities that a client has about their appearance is overcome and they do indeed look their best. There are times however that I find myself being just a sounding board. I have heard about cheating husbands & boyfriends. How they are doing the photos just to make them jealous or trying to rekindle a spark that faded long ago. We often need to help a family portray the image they would like to be seen in versus the truth. Like many families often what is seen on the surface is just an illusion. My job as the photographer is to help create the image that is to be seen. In doing this I am privy to some of the deepest secrets in someones closet. I am am their therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment